Client Privacy Rights Policy
ExtraCare Services is a program of HCI Care Services (legally known as Hospice of Central Iowa).
- The purpose of this policy is to encourage awareness of client privacy rights and Hospice of Central Iowa’s legal duties with respect to these rights.
- Each client will be provided with information about his/her privacy rights at the time of admission to Hospice of Central Iowa.
- To assist with fully understanding the client privacy rights and responsibilities, all policies are available to the organization personnel, clients, and their representatives as well as other organizations and the interested public.
The client will be provided with information about his/her privacy rights in the organization’s notice of privacy practices, which will be given to the client during the admission visit. The client’s privacy rights include:
- A right to adequate notice of the uses and disclosures of protected health information that may be made by Hospice of Central Iowa. See “HIPAA Privacy: Notice of Privacy Practices”, IM – 20.
- A right to request privacy protection for protected health information. See “HIPAA Privacy: Patient Privacy Rights”, IM – 21.
- A right of access to inspect and retain a copy of his/her protected health information. See “HIPAA Privacy: Requests For Access to Protected Health Information”, IM – 23.
- A right to request that the organization amend protected health information or a record about the individual in a designated record set for as long as the protected health information is maintained in the designated record set. See “Protected Health Information Amendment”, IM – 24.
- A right to receive an accounting of disclosures of protected health information made by Hospice of Central Iowa in the six years prior to the date on which the accounting is requested. See “HIPAA Privacy: Requests For an Accounting of Disclosures of Protected Health Information”, IM – 25.
- The client’s legal representative may exercise the client’s rights when a client is incompetent or a minor.
- When a client has questions about his/her privacy rights, requests additional information, or would like to exercise one of these rights, he/she will be referred to the appropriate individual designated by Hospice of Central Iowa.